Sunday 1 January 2012

“New Year's Resolution: To tolerate fools more gladly, 
provided this does not encourage them to take up more of my time.”
~ James Agate


The last week of 2011 went flying by, and suddenly here we are: 2012. It’s that time of year when we all seize the opportunity granted us to make a fresh start. We make resolutions, work on lifestyle changes, and generally aim for self-improvement in some form: do more exercise, eat less junk food, shower more regularly, take up Capoeira, read more books, be nicer to strangers...

The new year started off for me with no hint of change anywhere in sight. I don’t do resolutions any more. I used to write down lists and lists of habits to drop, hobbies to take up, things to do before the year was out; and year after year I disappointed myself, left with feelings of failure rather than a proud sense of achievement. So I gave up and decided that if I had no resolutions to break, I couldn’t possibly be accused of failing to keep them. Of course, I tell myself that I don’t make New Year’s resolutions because any changes that are worth making to one’s life ought to be put into practice regardless of the time of year, but deep down I think you and I both know that the real reason is essentially laziness. I can’t stick to routine, I will never be motivated enough to go for early morning jogs, I don’t really want to make time for any new enriching hobbies, to become a tidier or more organised person would mean fighting against my entire nature, and there is absolutely not a snowball’s chance in Hades of me ever being persuaded to even consider any new, healthy-eating diet. I simply refuse. My last New Year’s resolution in 2004 was to never make another resolution again, and it’s the only one I’ve managed to keep.

So I ushered in 2012 with a Double Sausage and Egg McMuffin meal, preceded by an ice-cream cone with flake. I can tell it’s going to be a good year.
Happy New Year, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment