Thursday 22 December 2011

"Tell the cook of this restaurant with my compliments that these are the very worst sandwiches in the whole world, and that when I ask for a watercress sandwich I do not mean a loaf with a field in the middle of it."
~ Oscar Wilde



It’s nearing Christmas time now, and suddenly everything is getting a little busier.  Mandi and I walked towards Waterloo to meet some old school friends, the long way via Holborn.  We stopped at The Book Warehouse on Southampton Row, half way between Russell Square and Holborn stations.  I love books. I buy too many books. Any discount book store or second hand bookshop is always a danger zone for myself and my bank balance, but I went into anyway.  I browsed the Wordsworth Classics section (3 for £5!!) while Mandi read some shmootzy book filled with quotes and profound thoughts on love and stuff. 


Half an hour later, we figured it would probably be a good idea to continue walking so that we wouldn’t be too later to meet our friends.  I foolishly trusted my sense of direction and got lost in some backstreets, but we eventually made it to Waterloo, by which time our friends had moved on to Leicester Square.  Tired, grumpy and hungry, we eventually made it to the restaurant, a small Greek place called Pompidou.  We chose the restaurant because everywhere else was too crowded, and this place seemed quiet.  
Now I know it was probably quiet for a reason. The staff were friendly, and because they didn’t speak much English, ordering our food became a bit of a point-and-nod game, which was fun.  Our hummus starters were tiny and unimpressive: a dollop of shop-bought hummus with a few straggly bits of iceberg lettuce, a couple of pieces of pitta, a slice of cucumber and some roughly chopped carrot. Although my crepe (a create-your-own spinach, broccoli, chicken and sausage combo) was filling, it didn’t really taste of much.  In fact, it tasted of salt and pepper, which I added in excessive quantities, with the texture of watery spinach.  
The best thing about it was the fact that it looked like a face.  I have to agree with Mandi when she says ‘when it comes to eating out in London, the trick is to avoid central, stay away from the obvious.’  This was, however, slightly undermined by the fact that she spoke through a mouthful of a Starbucks Panini, which she describes as ‘just beautiful, breakfast in a bun. It’s on par with a McDonald’s breakfast wrap.’

Still, we had a great evening – it’s the company that makes a good time, right? – and to top it all off I had a McDonald’s cone and flake for dessert. Yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment