Tuesday 13 December 2011

Each cup of tea represents an imaginary voyage
~ Catherine Douzel
YumChaa, 9-11 Tottenham Street, W1T 2AQ (website map)
Today we visited YumChaa on Tottenham street, the fourth and most recent addition to this mini-chain of quirky tea shops.  The friendly staff were quick to make recommendations and explain what they had on offer.  The industrial decor had the perfect amount of homely, with half-stripped wallpaper and mismatched furniture.  But most impressive thing about this place is their tea (which is only fitting for a tea shop, I suppose). 

I stared for a while at the 30 or so milk jugs which contain samples of all their loose leaf teas (don't expect to find a menu here!), with names such as 'Blueberry Hill', 'Wanderlust' and 'Gentle Giant'. I have a choice between black, green, white and red teas, blended with an array of dried fruit, spices and petals.  If you know me, you will know that these so-called 'trivial' decisions are somewhat impossible for me to make, and so I begin to deliberate as though my life depended on it.   

Eventually, the shop assistant kindly suggested I smell the teas to get an idea of the taste (and there I was thinking the colour of the blossoms would be enough to guide me).  I picked up a rooibos-based blend labelled 'Adventure', liked what I smelt, and so went ahead and ordered, half-hoping that we are we we drink and that the beverage would leave me feeling emboldened and reckless.  I can't say I'm any more inclined to live life on the edge having had my fill of 'Adventure', but nevertheless the mix of fruity, flowery and spicy was really delicious!  


Mandi was feeling peckish and so opted for a salami and mozzarella bagel.  I take it from her silent appreciation and the look of disappointment as she realised she'd finished the final bite that it was a good bagel.  Inspired by her surroundings, she then opened her sketch book to begin her page for the day.  While I record my experiences in writing, Mandi sets down her thoughts and memories in her sketch book. Her surroundings, her conversations, her ruminations are all artfully splashed across a page of sketches and phrases.  She has a true talent for capturing the atmosphere of each café, drawing only what she sees.  One medium and no rubbers: any mistakes remain for all to see.  Luckily for her, she doesn't seem to make many mistakes!




The atmosphere was great and relaxed, and Mandi and I happily sat in our little corner for a good couple of hours.  On a side note, everyone there appeared to be better-looking than average, with a slightly alternative edge.  Not that Mandi and I encourage superficial judgements; it’s just something we noticed.  Needless to say, we fitted right in.












1 comment:

  1. Can't believe the drawing was done just like that...wonderful piece of work and amazing talent.
    Megs, starting a blog is a great idea. Don't stop writing.

    ReplyDelete